(707) 708-1191
U Visa page Banner

VAWA (Violence Against Women Act)

Violence Against Women Act 2022 (VAWA)

VAWA (The Violence Against Women Act)  is a landmark piece of legislation that allows an abused spouse or child of a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident or an abused parent of a U.S. Citizen to self-petition for lawful status in the United States, and receive employment authorization, and access public benefits.

The eligibility to file extends to:

Spouse: You may file VAWA petition for yourself if you are, or were, the abused spouse of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. You may also file as an abused spouse if your child has been abused by your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse. You may also include on your petition your unmarried children who are under 21 if they have not filed for themselves.

Parent: You may file under VAWA if you are the parent of a U.S. citizen. If you have been abused by your U.S. citizen son or daughter.

Child: You may file under VAWA for yourself if you are an abused child under 21. Unmarried and have been abused by your U.S. citizen or permanent resident parent. If you have your own children. They may also be include on your petition. You may also file for yourself as a child after age 21 but before age 25. If you can demonstrate that the abuse was the main reason for the delay in filing.

Applying for a Green Card Pursuant to VAWA 
If you have been approve for VAWA and meet certain other requirements, you may apply for a Green Card.

Contact us if you have question or for a free consultation.